Presented by: Cintia Kimura, Postdoctoral Scholar, General Surgery, Stanford University.
Talk Title: ” Introducing Plant-Based Diets for Patients Recovering From Colorectal Surgery.”
Bio: Dr. Kimura completed her training in colorectal surgery in Sao Paulo, Brazil. She is a postdoc in the Department of Surgery and her research focuses on the effect of different diets on the gut microbiome of patients undergoing colorectal surgery. She studies coaching interventions to help patients prepare and recover from colorectal surgery.
Presented by: Kazunari Sasaki, MD, Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Abdominal Transplant, Surgery, Stanford University.
Talk Title: “Looking for a Magic Spice”
Bio: Kazunari Sasaki, MD, is a Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Abdominal Transplant. He received his medical degree from Shiga University of Medical Science, Japan in 2004. He moved to the US in 2015 and completed abdominal transplant fellowship at Cleveland Clinic, where he was subsequently appointed to the surgical faculty. He specializes in liver transplantation hepatobiliary surgeries.
Contact Ana Mezynski for Zoom in details.
Presented by: Gifty Kwakye, MD, Clinical Associate Professor, Clerkship Director of Surgery, University of Michigan.
Talk Title: “Colorectal Screening Amongst Vulnerable Populations.”
Bio: Dr Gifty Kwakye, MD is a Clinical Assistant Professor for Surgery in the Division of Colorectal Surgery. She graduated from Yale University with a BSc degree in both Biology and Psychology. She received her medical degree from Yale University in 2010 and holds a Masters in Public Health from Johns Hopkins. She completed her general surgery residency at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School in 2017 and colorectal surgery fellowship at the University of Minnesota in 2018. Dr Kwakye joined the faculty at the University of Michigan in 2018.
As a resident she received multiple awards including the Robert T. Osteen and the Partners Health System Medical Education awards for excellence in teaching. Her passion for global health was also recognized with a Global Health Scholarship award from Johns Hopkins during her public health training.
Presented by: Alex Zhuang, Medical Student, Boston University
Talk Title: “Qualitative Assessment of Receptiveness, Facilitators, and Barriers to Clean Cut Implementation in Rwanda”
Bio: Alex Zhuang is currently a fourth-year medical student at Boston University pursuing a career in surgical oncology and is currently taking a research year as a Fogarty Fellow to work with Lifebox and the University of Global Health Equity in Rwanda. He will be conducting a baseline context assessment of hospital readiness to implement a surgical site infection prevention quality improvement program. He is passionate about working at the intersection between public health and surgery in both research and advocacy in global and domestic contexts.
The 2023 Abstract Submission Site is Now Open!
- Oral or ePoster: Abstracts submitted to this category will be competitively evaluated by the Program Committee for presentation in the oral, quick shot or ePoster format. Presentations selected will be eligible for annual awards including best overall, basic science or clinical paper presented from the podium or as an ePoster.
- Oral Only: Abstracts submitted to this category will be competitively evaluated by the Program Committee for presentation in the oral format ONLY (Podium and Quick Shot). Abstracts will NOT be considered for ePoster presentation. Presentations selected will be eligible for annual awards including best overall, basic science or clinical paper presented from the podium.
- ePoster Only: Abstracts submitted to this category will be evaluated for ePoster presentation only. Presentations selected will be eligible for best basic science or clinical e-poster.
- Video: Abstracts submitted to this category will be competitively evaluated by the Video-Based Education Committee for presentation during the video abstract symposium and the Ongoing Video Room. Videos selected will be eligible for the best video award.
- Case Study: Abstracts submitted to this category will be evaluated for ePoster presentation only.
- Research Forum: Abstracts submitted to this category will be competitively evaluated by the Young Researchers Committee for oral presentation during the Research Forum. This session highlights developing areas of research that have clinical relevance for the care of patients with colorectal diseases. Presentations selected will be eligible for the Research in Progress award. If not accepted for Oral presentation the abstract will be considered for ePoster presentation.
- New Technology: Abstracts submitted to this category will be competitively evaluated by the Program Committee in conjunction with the New Technologies Committee for oral presentation during the New Technology Symposium. This symposium highlights the development, integration, evaluation and dissemination of new technology in the practice of colon and rectal surgery. If not accepted for Oral presentation the abstract will be considered for e-poster presentation.
The Plastic Surgery Research Council is now accepting abstracts for their 2023 Annual Meeting. Please submit your abstracts today for consideration in the 2023 Annual Scientific Program.
Deadline: Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 11:59 PM EST
View Submission Guidelines
Abstract submission categories include:
- Microsurgery/Flap Physiology/Ischemia Reperfusion
- Skin/Burn/Wound Healing
- Plastic Surgery Education/Training/Leadership/Practice
- Patient Safety/Health Care Cost/Access to Care
- Gender Confirmation Medicine/Surgery
- Vascular/Lymphatic Biology and Diseases
Session cancelled due to the 2022 American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress.
Each week, S-SPIRE hosts an in-person Work-In-Progress session (WIP) for faculty members and trainees to present their research and receive feedback on projects in every phase of development—from drafting specific aims pages, to parsing grant review committee comments, to abstracts/papers/methods in preparation.
Please refer inquiries to Ana Mezynski at email@example.com